In its meeting on May 22, 2023, the Management Committee discussed the following:
1. Student Attendance Policy
. The revised AUS Attendance Policy includes a number of changes:
this document regulates the notion of lateness (15 mins) and the threshold for accepted absences (5);
- we will no longer issue attendance reports to all students every three weeks, but only to students that are flagged at risk;
- we have started implementing this provision already as a transition to the new Policy;
- we will no longer issue half absences, but full absences. For this reason, the absence threshold has been modified from 3 to 5 absences;
- attendance will no longer constitute a percentage of the grade, however, students will be administratively withdrawn and not allowed to sit in assessments if they reach their threshold. This is aligned with the ECTS User Guide. The new syllabus templates will need to be aligned to reflect this for the upcoming Fall Term. A percentage of the grade can still be allocated for class participation;
- attendance will need to be recorded both at the beginning and end of the class. Faculty should be informed accordingly.
The new Policy was approved.
2. Procedure for Recognition of Informal Prior Learning
. The document aims at recognizing skills and competencies that our students have gained outside of the formal education system and provides evidence of acquiring certain skills and competencies that are mapped by the intended learning outcomes defined for some courses. AUS will now be able to document that informal prior learning and recognize it in terms of credits so that very exceptional experienced students do not have to sit through those courses again. A documented process for the mapping will be led by the Dean of Academics, which will analyze which courses can be recognized.
The new Procedure is approved.
3. Academic Performance Report (term)
. The Quality Assurance Director introduces this document that will be used for both our internal self-reflection, as well as accreditation exercises. It will be produced and presented at the end of each term and then consolidated at the end of the academic year.
4. Memorandum of Understanding with the University of Business and Technology (KSA)
An MoU was signed 2 weeks ago with the University of Business and Technology (UBT, Saudi Arabia) for the delivery of Executive Education programs targeted at their staff and students.
5. Veteran Affairs Updates. The Dean of Academics submitted the application for the recognition of the MIBA program by the VA.
6. Strategic Planning updates
A consultation with the AUS External Stakeholders has been conducted last week. The feedback they provided on the Strategic Plan was integrated into the document accordingly.
With that stage completed, the Management Committee was invited to take note of the recent changes in the Strategic Plan, compared to the version preliminarily approved in November 2022, and proceed to discuss. As a next step, we will narrow down the Strategic Plan into annual Operational Plans every academic year, which will provide measurable indicators of performance for the entire team. The Management Committee will then monitor on Operational Plan progress in its meeting in the last week of each month.